14 July 2010

42389 - Mountain biking, me?


I met B while bike trekking, and now that we meet again in one of the meccas of mountain biking, Crested Butte, there is only one thing to do, biking. Me however, is commuter biker, road biker and trekking biker, that mountain biking is not really my thing.

Here in Colorado however it seems that everybody mountain bikes and the standards are high. W showed me how to descend some stairs, H emailed: The ride was pretty crazy - 88 miles over 10,000ft of climbing - 13 hours in the saddle. Oh and if you think thats not to bad, she did it on a single speed!!!!

My luck, B just paced somebody for 60 miles in the Hardrock 100 mile Endurance Run (a 100-mile run with 10.000 meter of climb and a high point of 4300 meter), and doesn't mind to take it easy for a couple of days. Yes, being in shape in Colorado has its own standard.

I look at my bike and smilingly see a trekking bike. Its a mind set I have learned in Alaska. "You do it with the equipment you have, and don't forget to enjoy." A ridged frame and semi-slick tires (I rent a helmet), if thats what it is, than thats what I will use. On the other hand, we can do something about my mountain bike skills. And with B as a very patient teacher I learn lots. Weight to the back and using my front brake more when descending, keep peddling and keep my weight in the front but still on the seat uphill, let my bike finds its way on the flats, enjoy the booming wild flowers when walking. Its so nice when the learning curve is still steep.

For 4 days we bike around, watch a Tour de France stage at some friends house, cook healthy, talk about life and books, drink liters of coffee, listen to the music in the park, enjoy the beautiful surrounding and bike even more.

B, thanks for the wonderful days, you succeeded. I really start liking mountain biking. Maybe I should sell my fixie and buy a good mountainbike?

Dag,
   Iris (Crested Butte, 42389 miles)