28 July 2009

12278 - Random stuff in the Canadian Rockies


I know its Canada, but I have heard already in NL about the beauty of Jasper NP and Banff NP, that some side trips here are defensible. Jasper village in the Canadian rockies is touristy, and I am heading to Maligne lake for a 3 day wilderness experience by kayak. Some alone time.

Maligne lake
Its annoying to be naive as Maligne lake is beautiful, it doesn't bring me much alone time. There is for example the tourist boat running every 30 minutes, with people who see me as part of the wild life. I am probably shown all over the world right now on the many pictures being taken from me.

And then there is the campsites, I hear people talking, laughing and snoring at night. The central food court (picknick tables, bear boxes and fire pits) doesn't give much privacy either. Luckily on the water I am most of the time alone.



People
Maligne canyon, Athabasca Glacier, Lake Louise, Banff, its just people. I can not find the peace of mind to enjoy the Rockies really. My thoughts keep wondering back to Joshua Tree, when I hang out with my Alaskan friends. Growing up in the Netherlands, with a population density of 395.48 people/km^2, I thought that California with a population density of 90.49 people/km^2 was really empty and I didn't understand the complains of my friends about the many people in California. Now having spend a considered amount of time in Alaska with a population density of 0.46 people/km^2, I am brain washed. I can't handle people in combination with nature anymore. I go to Calgary, at least there suppose to be people in the city.


Downhill
L, my friend from SF, has set me up with P and S in Calgary, and that is were I crash for the night. In the meantime, L does the most sensible thing you can do for a person who lives his life, he books a flight as soon as he hears I am in Calgary with his friend. The next evening we pick him up from the airport, for a weekend exploring Canada.

P is a downhiller, something I am totally not up for. P doesn't mind that, while now me and the Oto are good for the ride back up the hill. Downhillers don't climb.

Uphill
With T-storms in the forecast, our big hike is cut into 2 shorter hikes in the heart of the Canadian Rockies. Ha-Ling mountain is the first challenge. The path climbs steep up the back of the mountain revealing its view only at the last moment. At once we can see down into the Canmore valley and over all the peaks in the surrounding. In the distance clouds are rolling in with the predicted rain.

Despites that the down goes fast and easy, we feel the first drop of rain when we are almost at the bottom. L starts running and we follow. In 3 minutes we are at the car, but soaked to the bone. Time for some food in town.

Hike 2 goes up to the tea house at Lake Louise. There are people everywhere, we have however each other to talk to, and do not mind them to much. Its just amazing to have L here, and P and S do feel like old friends.

Skating?
California and speed skating don't go together and my mom doesn't makes it easier on me. I love to skate, but when my mom and 2 million Dutch are on the ice, I am hanging out in Southern California in the sun. Packing my stuff before this trip, made me sit at home with my speed skates in my hand. Storage or car? I have to admit, it really went through my mind. Storage it became of course...but the thought lingered.

I vividly remember the Dutch Yvonne van Gennip winning 3 gold medals in speed skating at the Calgary Olympics of 1988. And since that time for me Calgary is synonym for the 400 meter speed skate ring, the Olympic Oval. Luckily this is north America, and with 30C outdoors, indoors there is ice!!!

I get P and S crazy enough to join me and when we bike to the Oval I am getting a little nervous. Will I still be able to skate at all. It has been 6-7 years ago before I last touched some ice. At the Oval we can rent skates. I get some kind of hockey skates pushed in my hand with long blades. What the hack...this is not what I had in mind. I can almost cry and don't even notice I have 2 right skates in my hand. When I find out, I run back to the little store. The guy looks at me and asks:" Are you a real good skater". In the Netherlands I am just a regular skater, here in Canada I might be really good. I decide, I am going to bluff my way in. "Yes, I am really really good. Please?" "Well, if you fit these and don't crash with them, you can try these." In my hand I am holding now some normal speed skates. Jeh, thats gonna work way better.


The first strokes are wobbly. People on ice hockey skates are soring by left and right. There are no defined lanes for different speeds and I have a hard time to avoid other skaters. Slowly it all comes back. The feel of swinging over the ice, leaning into the corners, balancing your weight over your skate. After 10 minutes I am flying over the ice. O my god, I love this.



Dag,
   Iris (Calgary, 12278 miles)