18 July 2009

11765 - Alcan


Its 1260 miles from Dawson City to Jasper NP, so I am up for some driving. I take the Alcan, the Alaska-Canadian highway, via Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Fort Nelson, Dawson Creek down to Jasper. The purpose of my whole trip is to see the USA, and therefore I use the Alcan, more as a corridor through Canada to the lower states then as a destination in itself.

The trip starts with leaving B behind and I am all alone again. Boring is the best description of the winding road through spruce forest in the north. More south I leave the permafrost behind, the drunken forest (trees are all crooked by frost heaving) straightens out and the trees become thicker and taller. More birch and alders are mixed among the spruce and mountains and lakes of the northern outcrops of the Rocky Mountains are flying by.

For the rest it’s like any other zoo. I drive by kamikaze squirrels, wide open eyed deer, shaggy sheep, some lost caribou, a moose with 2 calf’s, groups of bison, 5 single black bears scattered along the road, a black bear with a cub, a grizzly bear with 2 cubs. Nothing really special.

At the end of the road the country opens up, with farms along the rolling hills. After 3 days of driving I finally arrive at my friends’ house in Jasper. Long time memories are brought back to live about the good old time we had 9 years ago on the Camino Austral, Southern Chile. Stories from another world, other times, another trip, it almost seems like from another life.

Dag,
   Iris (Jasper, 11765 miles)

Ps. PG-VIP, I don’t think its wise to account on me anymore as bear protection, the statistics are starting to work against me.