11 September 2010

48244 - A lesser citizen


In another life I was renting a house, was married, and had a job.

In my present life there is no house, just Oto, there is no husband in the USA, just adopted family, there is no job, just savings. My expensive Diesel jeans are shredded and my newest pants were $7 at the thrift store. My credit card is replaced by duct tape, zip-ties and repair kits. There is no time, no commitment, no schedule, only the road in front of me.

But does this make me a lesser citizen? The Canadian customs thinks it does.

And for the second time this trip I am picked out while entering Canada for some thorough investigation. I didn’t buy veggies or fruit, but they still find an apple. I didn’t report my very legal bear spray, but they are not happy with it. I refuse to give the amount of savings I have, they talk about sending me right back to the USA (I give in). They ask me about my travel schedule, and when I tell them I am not sure, they talk about a restricted travel visa. They give me a speech about being from the Netherlands, and traveled through the USA and Canada, I should know better how to behave at a border. They just want to make sure that I am self supported, won’t overstay my visa, and won’t work illegal. I know, but I cook inside.

Should I tell them about the time that I found myself lost in the USA, unwilling to work illegal for the risk of being deported forever? Should I tell them that they are second just after the USA, on the list of most paranoia customs I have encountered in the world? Should I tell them that I have been a good citizen for most of my life?

After an hour they let me go with a 6 month visa. How one hour can spoil my mood for 24 hours.

Oh, European Union do I love you.

Dag,
   Iris (Victoria, 48244 miles)