24 June 2010

41562 - National Parks in Colorado


I have some time in between adventures and head for 2 more national parks.

Back Canyon of the Gunnison NP
The first one is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Is the U-shaped valley of Yosemite carved by a glacier, the Black Canyon is a real V-shaped river carved valley. Is the Grand Canyon carved by a slow moving Colorado river through soft rock and 6 million years of erosion, the Black Canyon is cut by a fast moving Gunnison river through a hard rock uplift with hardly any erosion.

Combined a deep, narrow, with sheer cliffs, black canyon cuts through the landscape.


Great Sand Dunes NP
The second National Park is the Great Sand Dunes. Streams, creeks, melting snow and flash floods brought bits of rocks out of the San Juan Mountains to the San Luis valley floor. Southwestern winds blew the grains towards the low curves of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains at the other side of the valley and there they started to pile up.

High dune with 198 meter of height is one of the tallest dunes and a good burley 1 step forward ½ a step slide down hike up. The sun is hot, the sand even hotter.

When I run back down the slopes, sand is piling up in my shoes and burning my feet. Stopping is no option, while now I am sinking to my ankles in the hot sand. Did it take me an hr to hike up, 20 minutes is all it takes to bring me back to the Oto.

Dag,
   Iris (Salida, 41562 miles)