15 April 2010

36735 - More in Texas


San Antonio
I can stay with L and for an afternoon check out downtown and the Alamo.


Big Bend National Park
I wanted to float down the Rio Grande and got spared an embarrassment to not find a travel partner. There is hardly any water and I can kayak upstream and walk the tiny rapids into the Santa Elena canyon.


The next day I take a hike into the Chisos mountains. Which has beautiful views over the surrounding desert and well into Mexico.



Guadalupe Mountains National Park
I share a campsite with M and together we hike for a day and chase birds. M gives me an Audubon field guide of the South West and from now on I am an official environmental identifier. Its amazing how such a small gift can change my whole perspective of my surrounding. Thanks.



Carlsbad Cavern National Park
I must have been 18 and we had no language in common. He made me a drawing to show me where he had found the stalagmite he gave to me. Until today I will always think of his eyes when I enter a cave and wished he could see the Big Room with me. One of the most impressive caves I have seen in my life.


Hueco Tanks
No comment please.



Dag,
   Iris (Hueco Tanks, 36735 miles)