09 April 2009

2329 - The east side

 
The east side of the Sierra Nevada was the place to be in the weekends when San Francisco became to much. But also now, its the place to be. Visiting friends is always good.

First I strike down in Mammoth at J and K. A long long time ago I did some skiing in Europe and when I moved to SF I took up a little bit of snow boarding. But as skiing still attracts me, J (guide and ski instructor) takes me up the mountain for some skiing. Its windy and cold, but I love it. Apparently I am still stemming, but who cares when the going is good.



With K who is a hard core hiker (and guide), I go to Convict lake for an afternoon hike. The lake is in a beautiful setting, and I can see why they choose this spot for their wedding this summer. The hike becomes eventful when half of the path is still covered in slippery ice, but with the sun on our skin, we don't fear the cold water.



Then I am meeting T and B in Bishop for 2 days of climbing. More familiar faces show up and its hot down in the Gorge. But the climbing is good and the hang out with friends even better.



At last its time for Bridgeport and hang out in the local hotsprings. Thanks guys.



And now its the real time, to leave things behind and heading north.

Dag,
   Iris (Bridgeport, 2329 miles)